Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Benefits of Setting up a Network

Networks can be set up anywhere, not just the office building. You may be thinking, "What's the point?". There are quite a lot of benefits to setting up a home network to make life easier for you.

File Sharing

This will erase your need for flash drives, external drives, burning info to disks, or zip drives (remember those?). You will be able to easily access files on another computer in your home. 

Data Backup

You can back up your data on another system. Let's say you have two computers. have each computer back up to the other in case of crash or corruption. That way you are always covered!

Printer sharing

You don't need a printer for each computer in your home. One printer for the den, one printer for the office, one printer for little Timmy's room....no longer. Get one. Even better, get one that's wireless so you don't have to worry about cables. (Don't know how to set up a wireless connection with a printer?....that's ok we do!)

Internet Sharing

Some Internet Service Providers will try to talk you into multiple accounts for your home. Don't do it. It will save you hundred of dollars to just share one connection in your home. There are lots of internet packages in the Treasure Valley that offer high speeds that will be enough for multiple users. This is not suggested for dial up connection, however, since it will be noticeably slow.

Game!

You can play multi player games if you're all networked together. A lot of popular games have a feature called LAN MODE. LAN stands for Local Access Network. Ever heard of a LAN party? Well now you can have your very own!

Home Entertainment

You can integrate your gaming consoles, like the Xbox 360 or the PS3, to your network. They can be included in the file sharing, and have access to your Netflix account your networked internet setup.

It's convenient, it's fun, and it makes you look cool! In my own home I like it because I have several movies stored on my computer. What I used to do is load up the movie on a thumb drive and then plug it into my Xbox and play it from the consoles media player. That's  not hard by any means, but it can take several minutes to load onto the drive and then the format may or may not even work on the Xbox. With my TV hooked directly into my computer I just change the input on my TV to the one I have my computer hooked to and it makes my TV a second monitor for my TV. Then I just select the movie and play! I can surf the web from my couch, watch documentaries from Youtube...it's great!

Setting all this up can be a little tricky but we can help. Just give us a call and we'll get you set up too! Treasure valley IT

No comments:

Post a Comment